Instructions for PocketPC users to access Wireless LAN via a VPN Connection.
I. Install Microsoft ActiveSync 3.7 into the desktop computer
II. Install Kelbran RasMan into your pocket PC
III. Edit Network Setting
IV. Add a VPN server
V. Connect to wireless LAN through a VPN Connection
I. Install Microsoft ActiveSync 3.7 onto your desktop computer:
If ActiveSync has already been installed on your desktop computer. You may skip this step.
a. Download MSASYNC.exe client from this link.
b. Double click on the MSASYNC.exe to install ActiveSync 3.7. Make sure your Pocket PC is connected to your desktop computer.
II. Install Kelbran RasMan into your pocket PC:
a. Download the file, kbRasMan.exe, at http://www.pocketgear.com/download.asp?product_id=5259.
b. Double click the kbRasMan.exe file to install Kelbran RasMan. Make sure your Pocket PC is connected to your desktop computer.
c. Double click the kbRasMan.exe file to install Kelbran RasMan. Make sure your Pocket PC is connected to your desktop computer.
d. Follow the instructions to install RasMan onto your PocketPC.
d. After the installation, click "Start" and then "Programs". If RasMan has been properly installed, the KelBran RasMan icon should appear.
a. Turn on the Wireless LAN function.
1. Click the "iPAQ wireless" icon at the bottom right corner. If you don't find this icon, please select "Start" -> "Programs" ->"iPAQ Wireless".
2. Click on the WiFI icon so it turns green to enable the wireless LAN function.
b.To setup the wireless network.
1. Click "Start" and then "Settings".
2. In the "Settings" window, click "Connections" and then select the "Connections" tab at the bottom.
3. In the "Connections Settings" page, click on the "Advanced" tab and choose "Select Networks".
4. In both "Programs that automatically connect to the Internet//private network" choose "My Work Network". Then click "OK".
5. On the "Connections Settings" window, click to choose "Network Card".
6. Select "Add New..."
7. In "Configure Wireless Network", type in "classnet" into the "Network name" box.
8. Click on the "Network Key" tab. On this page, select "Open" in the "Authentication" pull down menu. Then select "Disable" for Data Encryption. Click "OK".
9. In the "Configure Wireless Network" window, click "Network Adapters". Select the Wireless LAN Adapter. In this example, select "iPAQ WLAN Wireless Adapter". Then click "OK" twice.
a. On the "Connections" setup page, click "Add a new VPN server connection"
b. In the "Making new connection" window, type in "wlan" for the Name and input "vpn.wlan.cuhk.edu.hk" as the Host name/IP. Then choose IPSec/L2TP as the VPN type. Click "Next".
c. Select "A pre-shared key". Enter "ipsec-vpn" in the "pre-shared key" field.
d. Enter your "Computing ID" as the User name and CWEM password as your Password.
a. Now you can connect to the wireless lan by clicking "KelBran RasMan" in "Programs".
Enter your Campus-wide E-mail System (CWEM) computing ID and password in the dialog box.
Click Dial to connect.
b.If your computer connects to the network successfully, an "Authenticated" message will be shown.