current security settings put your computer at risk" Information Toolbar Nuisance (Internet Explorer 7 SP2)
For some of the more experienced Internet users, and for those who recently updated to the Internet Explorer version 7, you may be finding yourself tampering with the settings in the browser for security. Unfortunately, Microsoft implemented a new feature to make sure you knew that your security is low (which, on most machines, is a pretty redundant statement). For those who don't like being treated like an adolescent, or for those who are suffering from their browsing because of this bar, here is a simple fix that can be performed using registry editor. (Make sure to back up your windows registry!!!)
1) Click on Start -> Run, type in Regedit.exe, and then click "OK".
2) In the registry editor, go to the following:
3) Right click on the right side of the editor where all of the values are, select New, and select DWord.
4) Type so that the name of your new DWORD is "DisableSecuritySettingsCheck" (no quotes).
5) Double click the registry DWORD that you just created.
6) Type in "1" for the value (no quotes). Press Enter.
7) Close Registry editor, and restart your machine. The changes will take affect after restarting.
*Note* For those of you running Windows XP Pro, you can do this a little differently.
1) Click on Start -> Run, type in GPEDIT.MSC
2) Expand the "User Configuration" Node.
3) Expand the "Administrative Templates" node
4) Expand the "Windows Components" node
5) Click the "Internet Explorer" node
6) In the Settings pane, double click "Turn off the Security Settings Check" feature.
7) Using the UI, set the setting to "Enable"